Saturday 30 January 2010

The one with the first entry.



Hello bookworms!

Inspired by a forum I frequent, I thought I would start a book blog - detailing and reviewing the books I've read over the year (and I read a lot!).

Generally speaking I get my books second-hand, either from Amazon, Green Met or charity shops. I sometimes buy new books, but for some reason I do rather like the history staped in older books. There is a lovely charity bookshop near my flat which I go into quite a lot as they segregate the books into genre and that appeals to my inner OCD!

So, I am slowly emassing a large collection of books, half of which are documented here;

I have been reading since...well, since I can remember. I was very lucky in that my mother was and is a keen reader, and spend a lot of time with me and my brother and a variety of books. I was also lucky enough to go to a school which had a big library and a very vast collection of books, most of which I read whilst I was there. At secondary school, you could always find me in the library, which probably didn't make me very popular but I was definitely well read!

My favourite genre is probably crime/mystery. I have a lot of true crime books as I am interested in the psychology behind crime, again passed on from my mother. I also have quite a few books on politics, psychology, some on sport and conspiracy theories. I can be found reading chick-lit occasionally, but I tend to read it as the written equvilant of light entertainment.

In terms of my favourite book of all time - there is absolutely no way I could possible choose! I have read so many, but I will freely admit I haven't read many of the classics, something I intend to change this year. Books I have read and loved are; Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver and Red Dragon by Tom Harris. Books I am not so fond of are sci-fi books which disappoints my fiancé as he's a very keen sci-fi reader! I will attempt to read more of that genre this year though, as I am sure I'm missing out on some brilliant novels.

I have quite a few books still to read - I like to have several books on the shelf that are available to me if the mood takes me. These books include Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, A Million Little Pieces by James Frey, Mr Maybe by Jane Green and Back Spin by Harlen Coben.

I recently read The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom.



I read this book in one sitting after getting it from the Oxfam shop in Norwich. A very easy read, it explored the life of a man called Eddie. The story starts with his death, on his eighty-third birthday, and continues as one by one, he meets five people that have had some influence on his life, regardless of whether he knew them or not. Eddie felt as if he had made no impact in his life, and regretted some of the choices he had made, and that nothing meaningful happened for his being. The Five People he met were there to teach him his lessons, the final lesson being the most profound, and the major twist in the story.

I really liked this book, and found it very profound and an easy read. I think it was only around 100 pages, so definitely one you can do in one sitting and worth the time spent to absorb the words. It's written fairly basically, and easy to follow, which was nice as I do spend a lot of time reading quite heavy books!

I rate this book 7.5/10, and gave it to my Nana to read!

2 comments:

  1. Pleased to "meet" a fellow Green Met fan - I love buying 2nd hand from them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Sorry, I didn't see this before :tsk: Thank you for your comment :)

    ReplyDelete